Our Blogger Templates Web Design

You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. ~ Paul Sweeney

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Review: Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott


Summary

When Alice was ten, Ray took her away from her family, her friends -- her life. She learned to give up all power, to endure all pain. She waited for the nightmare to be over.

Now Alice is fifteen and Ray still has her, but he speaks more and more of her death. He does not know it is what she longs for. She does not know he has something more terrifying than death in mind for her.

This is Alice's story. It is one you have never heard, and one you will never, ever forget.


Review

Can I start by saying that I died a little inside while reading this book?

LIVING DEAD GIRL isn't a story for anyone who likes reading fluffy stories where the girl gets the guy and everyone goes home happy. No, no, NO.

If you're looking for that type a book, put this one down, and walk away with your heart still beating in your chest, because I just finished LIVING DEAD GIRL and now I can't feel anything.

I'm so numb.

Because Alice, a girl whose name is not really Alice, was abducted by a pedophile (because really that's what he is) who had some mommy-issues and justifies his actions by saying he's only looking out for Alice, and he loves Alice who needs him because he's all she has.

Told in a raw, lyrical prose Alice's story isn't new at all. There are girls like Alice all over the world, and though this book wasn't graphic, the things Alice was made to do, though only hinted at, made me cringe, it made me want to throw up, but I just couldn't put this book down, even though I was crying, and I wanted Ray to suffer, just as much as Alice was suffering.

But then as Alice revealed things about Ray's past, I began to feel sorry for him, because some kids who are sexually abused grow up to sexually abuse other kids and I loved the way Miss Scott made Ray's character come alive even though the story wasn't told by him.

LIVING DEAD GIRL was a disturbingly good read and if you like dark tells then I highly recommend this.

No comments:

Post a Comment